How to Update LG OLED TV
Last updated: Sep 25, 2023
LG OLED TV runs on the webOS operating system which needs to be updated. OLED TV has a Software Update feature that can Update the webOS operating system. You can either search for Updates manually by accessing the Check for Update option or turn on Auto Update for an automatic update when the internet is connected. Here is a step-by-step process of how to update the LG OLED TV.
Note: This article is created with LG OLED TV C2 2022 Released - Some steps might be different if you are using older version of the television.
You can find the video on this topic at the end of this article.
Do's and Don'ts Before the Update
Before we dive into the LG OLED TV update process, it's important to make a few preparations:
- Check Your Internet Connection: Make sure you have a stable internet connection for your LG OLED TV update. To ensure a smooth download and installation, use either a wired or wireless connection.
- Connect to a Power Source: To avoid interruptions during the update, plug your LG OLED TV into a power source. A steady power supply is essential to prevent any potential issues or failures during the software update.
- Backup Your Settings (Optional): Before updating, consider backing up your TV settings. While not mandatory, it is a good practice. This allows for a simple restoration of your preferred settings if any changes occur during the update process.
Updating the LG OLED TV Software
Now that you have prepared your LG OLED TV for the update, let’s walk through the step-by-step process:
Step 1: Go to the 'Settings' Option
- Power on your LG OLED TV and navigate to the Home screen by pressing the Home button on your remote control.
- Once on the Home screen, look for the settings option in the upper right corner. A gear icon represents the settings symbol.
- Using the arrow buttons on your remote control, highlight the settings option.
- Press the OK button on your remote control to select the settings option and enter the settings menu.
Step 2: Find 'All Settings' Under the Settings
- After entering the settings menu, you will find a sub-menu with various options.
- Use your remote control's arrow buttons to cycle through the submenu.
- Look for the 'All Settings' option within the sub-menu.
- Once you have found the 'All Settings' option, highlight it.
- Press the OK button on your remote control to select the 'All Settings' option.
Step 3: Access Support Under All Settings
- Within the 'All Settings' menu, continue scrolling or navigating through the options until you find the 'Support' option.
- The 'Support' option is typically near the bottom of the menu.
- It is represented by a pair of headphones icon.
- Highlight the 'Support' option using the arrow buttons on your remote control.
- Press the OK button to access the 'Support' menu.
Step 4: Open Software Update Under Support
- Inside the 'Support' menu, look for the 'Software Update' option.
- The 'Software Update' option is typically the first option in the sub-menu under the 'Support' category.
- Highlight the 'Software Update' option using the arrow buttons on your remote control.
- Press the OK button to open the 'Software Update' menu.
Step 5: Find 'Check for Update' Under Software Update
- Search for the 'Check for Update' option in the 'Software Update' menu.
- The 'Check for Update' option is usually found towards the end of the options list, after the 'Software Version and 'Automatic Update options.
- Use the arrow buttons on your remote control to highlight the 'Check for Update' option.
- Press the OK button to initiate the search for available updates.
Step 6: Turn On Auto Updates
- Select the "Auto Update" option under the "Software Update" menu.
- Enabling the 'Auto Update' option allows your LG OLED TV to automatically update its software when connected to the internet.
- This setting ensures that your TV stays up-to-date with the latest software versions, features, and bug fixes.
- To turn on the 'Auto Update' feature, use the arrow buttons on your remote control to highlight the option.
- Press the OK button to activate the 'Auto Update' feature.
Additional Tips for Updating LG OLED TV
1. Stable Internet Connection
Maintain a stable and reliable internet connection throughout the update process. Consider using a wired connection for better stability and to prevent download failures or incomplete updates.
2. Regularly Check for Updates
Stay up-to-date with the latest improvements and features by checking for updates regularly. LG releases periodic software updates to enhance performance and address known issues. Make it a habit to check for updates to keep your LG OLED TV optimized.
3. Enable Automatic Updates
On your LG OLED TV, turn on automatic updates to make updating hassle-free. With the help of this feature, your TV will automatically check for updates on a regular basis and install them so that your software is always present. To take advantage of this comfort, select the "Auto Update" option under "Software Update."
4. Update Failures and Errors
If the update process fails or encounters an error, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:
- Ensure that your internet connection is stable and reliable.
- Restart your TV and try the update process again.
- Check for any available firmware updates for your TV model on the LG website and follow their instructions for manual installation.
- If the problem continues, contact LG customer service for more advice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I update my LG OLED TV software?
To get the best performance, bug fixes, and new features, you must update the LG OLED TV software. It improves performance, adds new features, and enhances your viewing experience. Updates also address compatibility issues and improve overall stability.
How often should I check for software updates?
It is recommended to check for software updates regularly, ideally once every few weeks or at least once a month. LG releases updates periodically, and checking for updates ensures that you don't miss out on important improvements or bug fixes. By staying up to date, you can take full advantage of your TV's capabilities.
Can I update my LG OLED TV without an internet connection?
It is recommended that you connect your LG OLED TV to the internet for the best update experience. While updates can be performed without an internet connection, connecting to the internet allows your TV to search for and download the most recent software. In some cases, you can manually download updates from the LG website onto a USB drive and install them on your TV.
Can I revert to a previous software version if I encounter issues after an update?
LG TVs do not typically offer the option to revert to a previous software version. When you install an update, it replaces the previous version. If you experience problems after an update, contact LG customer support for assistance and troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue.
How do I know if my LG OLED TV has been updated?
To check if your LG OLED TV is updated, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the TV's settings menu.
- Navigate to the 'Software Update' or 'About This TV' sections.
- Look for an option like 'Check for Updates' or 'Software Version.'
- Select that option to initiate a check for updates.
- If your TV is already up-to-date, it will display a message indicating that no updates are available. Otherwise, it will prompt you to download and install the latest update.
Is it good to update my LG OLED TV?
Yes, it is generally recommended to update your LG OLED TV. Bug fixes, performance upgrades, and new features are frequently included in software updates. The software on your TV should be updated regularly to make sure it functions properly, fix any known problems, and enhance the viewing experience. To get the most out of your LG OLED TV, it is a good idea to stay up-to-date with the most recent updates.
Did you find our post on "How to Update LG OLED TV" helpful? Let us know by liking or disliking it! We value your feedback and would love to hear your thoughts on our article. Leave a comment and share your experience with us!