Can you make WhatsApp calls using the Echo Show
Last updated: Nov 18, 2023
No, you cannot make WhatsApp calls using the Echo Show. This is because WhatsApp is not officially supported as an Alexa skill, meaning you cannot use the voice assistant to access the app or its features. You also cannot install WhatsApp on the Echo Show device itself, as it runs on a customized version of Android that doesn’t have access to the Google Play Store. The only way to use WhatsApp on the Echo Show is to use your smartphone as a bridge, but this is not a very convenient or seamless process.
Does WhatsApp Calling Will be Coming to the Echo Show in the Future
There has been no formal announcement regarding Echo Show WhatsApp calling integration from Amazon or WhatsApp. However, technology changes and corporations upgrade their products to match consumer needs and market trends. The Echo Show may support WhatsApp calling in the future.
Amazon and WhatsApp may explore collaborations or updates to enable WhatsApp to call on the Echo Show as demand for seamless communication across platforms rises. Amazon has updated its gadgets and added popular communication apps to meet consumers' changing needs.
Users interested in Echo Show WhatsApp calling should follow Amazon's software updates and announcements. New features and integrations improve smart devices like the Echo Show as technology evolves.
List of Video Calls Currently Echo Show Supports
The Echo Show devices are smart displays that allow you to make video calls with your voice or touch. Here are some of the video calling options that the Echo Show supports:
- Alexa Calling: This is Echo Show's default video calling service. Video calls are available to Alexa contacts with Echo Shows or the Alexa app on their phones. Voice calls to most supported regions are also possible. Alexa Calling lets you say “Alexa, video call [contact name],” or swipe the right side of the screen to access the Echo Show menu, pick “Communicate,” and then select “Show contacts” to browse your contact list and choose the person you want to call.
- Skype: Skype, a popular video calling app, works with Echo Show. You can video call any Skype user, regardless of device. Skype Credit or a subscription lets you call landlines and mobile phones. Link your Skype and Alexa accounts in the Alexa app to make video calls. You may then say “Alexa, Skype [contact name]” or slide to the right side of the screen to enter the Echo Show menu, pick “Communicate,” and then “Skype” to browse your Skype contacts and call the person you want.
- Zoom: Zoom, a popular video conferencing program, works with Echo Show. Zoom meetings can be joined via Echo Show using a meeting ID or personal link name. Users with Zoom accounts can start meetings from their Echo Show devices. Link your Zoom account to Alexa in the Alexa app to join or start a meeting. Then, say, “Alexa, join my Zoom meeting” or swipe right to access the Echo Show menu, pick “Communicate,” and select “Zoom” to input the meeting ID or personal link name.
- Microsoft Teams: Echo Show users can utilize Microsoft Teams for video conferencing. Microsoft Teams meetings can be joined via Echo Show using a meeting ID or personal link name. Those with Microsoft Teams accounts can initiate meetings via their Echo Show devices. Link your Microsoft Teams account to Alexa via the Alexa app to join or start a meeting. Then, say, “Alexa, join my Teams meeting,” or swipe right to access the Echo Show menu, pick “Communicate,” and select “Teams” to input the meeting ID or personal link name.
Alternative Smart Displays That Have WhatsApp
If you are looking for an intelligent display that can make WhatsApp calls, you might want to consider some alternatives to the Echo Show. Here are some of the smart displays that have WhatsApp integration:
- Pixel Tablet: Google released the Pixel Tablet, a tablet-smart display hybrid. Its 13-megapixel camera, 10.1-inch touchscreen display, and kickstand allow for viewing angle adjustments. Google Assistant is included in Android 12. Installation via the Google Play Store and the voice command “Hey Google, WhatsApp video call [contact name]” or clicking the screen and selecting the app allow you to make WhatsApp calls. It also works with YouTube, Photos, Maps, and more.
- Facebook Portal: Facebook Portal is a video-calling smart display. It boasts a 10-inch touchscreen, a 12-megapixel camera, and smart sound for better audio. Alexa is embedded into its customized Android OS. Linking your WhatsApp account to your Portal account and saying, “Alexa, call [contact name] on WhatsApp,” or clicking the screen and selecting the app lets you initiate WhatsApp calls.
- Lenovo Smart Tab M10 Plus: The Lenovo Smart Tab M10 Plus is another tablet-smart display hybrid. The 10.3-inch touchscreen display, 5-megapixel camera, and docking station make it a smart display. Google Assistant is incorporated into Android 9. Installation via the Google Play Store and the voice command “Hey Google, WhatsApp video call [contact name]” or clicking the screen and selecting the app allow you to make WhatsApp calls. It lets you stream music, videos, and open other Android apps and games.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Can I make international calls on the Echo Show?
Yes, users can make international calls using the Echo Show through supported services. However, specific features and availability may vary based on the region and the services enabled.
What are the privacy features on the Echo Show during calls?
The Echo Show includes privacy features like a physical camera shutter and a microphone/camera off button, giving users control over their privacy during calls.
Can I connect my smartphone to the Echo Show for calls?
While the Echo Show can connect to smartphones for certain functionalities, direct integration for WhatsApp calling is not currently supported.
Where can I find updates on Echo Show features and compatibility?
Users can stay informed about Echo Show updates, features, and compatibility through official Amazon announcements, device settings, and the Alexa app on their connected devices.
The Echo Show does not enable WhatsApp calling. However, it can be used for video calling with Alexa Calling, Skype, Zoom, and Microsoft Teams. A physical shutter and microphone/camera off switch provide privacy and communication alternatives. WhatsApp calling on the Echo Show is uncertain, but users should stay informed through official notifications. For smart screens with WhatsApp integration, try the Pixel Tablet, Facebook Portal, and Lenovo Smart Tab M10 Plus.